Monday, November 22, 2010

They'll Say 'Are Ya Married', I'll Say 'No Man'

I was in bed last night and I remembered (maybe) my all time favorite thing about winter weather. It was probably 9 or 10pm, so it was long dark out, but there was a fantastic pale blue light coming in through my blinds. It reminded me of how bright it gets outside when there's snow on the ground and the moon is bright and unobstructed. Just thinking about that certain shade of light hitting my window in the middle of the night makes me wish for a nor'easter. Never mind the cars sliding on the road, the endless minutes spent shivering until the heater kicks in, or the shovelling...dear god, the shovelling. I've always been a sucker for winter, especially before it arrives, when you can feel it coming, while also comfortably braving 50 degree weather. It tends not to be until early to mid-January that I'm cursing Jack Frost, gazing longingly at my shorts, and dreaming of swimming pools. But, for now, I can indulge in those pre-snow, pre-4 layers and a scarf, pre-wanting to move to Brazil days: Reading teen/YA books for un-ironic nostalgia, drinking hot chocolate, and listening to bedroom rock and warm indie synths because they feel like flannel ear blankets. Lately the air smells like the agonizing chore of waiting for the school bus every morning, but somehow even that now seems wonderful. I may get starry-eyed for this time of year, but be sure to check back in two months when I'm using my freezing, dry hands to write a love letter to the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment