Tuesday, April 6, 2010

OBFUSCATIOUS, SPELLED OUT AND OBSERVED

This past Saturday reminded me of one of my favorite lyrics ever: "All I know is you've got no money, but that's got nothing to do with a good time." -Sonic Youth '100%'
I spent the morning/afternoon finishing up a really fantastic mix that I can't stop listening to. The Books, Big Star, The Wrens, Destroyer, Comet Gain, Deerhoof...I'd love to go on and on about how much I love the music I've been listening to this year, but who has the time? I spent the rest of the day laying in bed listening to it on headphones with the windows open and my sunglasses on. I probably looked like some kind of Warholian mess or pseudo-bohemian beatnik disaster, but it was exactly what I needed.
Text messages came and went and I eventually ended up at my pal Rory's for some booze and a fire. This is really what it boils down to, sitting around with friends watching Peeps fall in to the fire, strategic zombie card games, unexpected operatic outbursts, internet videos so old they should be in black and white, and simple conversation. I think that was the essence of the Sonic Youth quote, getting together and enjoying the company of friends and not needing anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment